Friday, April 2, 2010
I am a USVI home gardner.

Living in the Caribbean I have the luxury of growing a garden year round. I probably plant a new garden about three times a year. The soil near my house is not ideal for planting so I grow the garden in pots on my porch. At the moment I mostly have herbs growing, as well as, tomatoes, cucumbers, chili peppers and lettuce greens.

St. Thomas has a few farmers, they are mainly located on the Western side of the island in Estate Bordeaux. The Virgin Islands government has given a parcel of land for agriculture purposes, where there is about 50 different farm plots of different sizes. Some farmers sell their products at roadside markets, Saturday market in Charlotte Amalie at Market Square, or the last Sunday of every month at the old tennis court in Bordeaux, or at Yach Haven Grande Market a couple Sundays out of the month, or directly to restaurants.

A great source for information about farmers growing on St. Thomas is the Grow VI Site, and their blog.




Here are few shots from the Rasta Fest that happens once a year!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...