Wednesday, March 7, 2012



The wind today is really incredible on St Thomas (25 to 30 mph with gust up to 40 mph) I couldn't imaging being out on the water on day like today. I can imagine baking some hot bread in the kitchen though. This weekend I made my first French Bread! It was so easy to make and the recipe I used is very similar to my pizza dough recipe. I've got a little room for improvement with my bread for some reason the texture wasn't just right, guess I'll have to try it again. A little tip I tried was to toss a couple of ice-cubes into the bottom of the oven to make the crust flaky. Here's the French Bread Recipe that I found on allrecipes.com:

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups water (70 to 80 degrees F)
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 1/2 cups bread flour
1 12 teaspoons active dry yeast
1 tablespoon cornmeal

Glaze:
1 egg
1 tablespoon water
2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds

Directions:
1. Mix first 5 ingredients together.
2. Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface and continue mixing.
3. Place in lightly oiled bowl, cover, and let rise until double in size (30 minutes.)
4. Divide in half. Roll each portion into 8x10 rectangles and roll up starting from long side. Pinch seams to seal.
3. Sprinkle greased baking sheet with cornmeal, place loaves seam side down on prepared pan. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, (about 20 minutes.)
4. Whisk egg and water - brush over loaves. Make four shallow slashes across the top of each loaf. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds.
5. Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on wire rack.

Enjoy!!!

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Welcome to my Blog

I’m a photographer living on a little island in the Caribbean called St Thomas with my husband Eric and Mambo (my talkative cat). My website is sagehammond.com

Thanks for stopping by.

Powered by Blogger.