Monday, April 4, 2011


Before I say anything about my opinion about proper beach etiquette I must first say a small disclaimer: I am a beach snob. 

I practically live on the beach, I work on the beach, I live on an island that has beaches that have been rated as the most beautiful in the world, and I go to the beach all year round (these are just facts.)

The basic elements I find to be common sense while sitting on a beach with others, are in fact not so common. I do realize that not everyone understands the rules of beach etiquette; so I’ve created a simple list to follow to insure that everyone can enjoy themselves at the beach.

1. Claiming your beach spot/space.

It is important to remember that you do not own the beach or your spot (I always have to remind myself of this.) I do think it is ok to spread your stuff out to take up space on the beach, if you are not invading someone else’s space. Just because you get a great beach spot doesn’t mean that others will not show up and think the same thing. I also believe that it is ok to relocate if this does happen.

2. Don’t be a space invader.

Your beach towel and chair should not be closer then the length of a beach towel to another sunbather. If there is a lot of space on the beach DO NOT SIT RIGHT NEXT TO another person, you should pick your own beach spot.

3. Be considerate of other people.

This is my #1 complaint on the beach: noise level, please do not talk so everyone can hear you a mile away on your phone (we do not care that it is snowing where you’re from), do not smoke next to others, do not shake your towel out next to other people, do not spray sun block so it gets on other people, and do not play your music too loud.  I don’t think people are use to being outside in an open space and take the wind into consideration and how all of the above listed items travel with ease on the beach. If in doubt you should just stand up and step away to not invade someone else’s space.

All beaches in the US Virgin Islands are public, so we should learn to be more considerate to make the beach enjoyable for everyone. Thanks for reading my beach rant. 

2 comments:

  1. AnonymousJune 11, 2011

    Hi
    My name is Dale on I live on the East Coast of Australia near Sydney.
    Wow .... What an Amazing place where you live.... A True Paradise ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dale,
    Thanks for stopping by my blog and for your complements!!!
    xoxo
    s

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Welcome to my Blog

I’m a photographer living on a little island in the Caribbean called St Thomas with my husband Eric and Mambo (my talkative cat). My website is sagehammond.com

Thanks for stopping by.

Powered by Blogger.